Posted .

Your teeth get their incredible strength and durability from the mineral density of the tooth enamel layer. While it is rare, there are times when a hard blow to the face, accidental fall or other oral trauma can exceed the strength of the tooth enamel. If a bad fracture or crack damages a tooth, the required treatment called for will vary depending on the severity.

If a blow to the face has left blood or other debris in your mouth, you should gently rinse it away with lukewarm saltwater. Not only will this gently clear the area, but it can also help soothe traumatized oral tissues.

If the crack merely damages the tooth enamel, he might only need to restore the tooth with a dental crown. If you feel a sharp or persistent pain in the cracked tooth, it most likely means that the damage extends into the pulp or root of the tooth. In a case like this, your dentist, Dr. Kenneth Schweizer, will likely need to perform a root canal. This will replace the damaged internal structures of the tooth and form an abutment to later anchor a crown in place.

If the crack has severely damaged the root or the structure of the tooth’s socket, Dr. Kenneth Schweizer might need to completely extract the tooth. Once your gums have healed, he can help you decide if you’d like to restore the tooth with a dental bridge or dental implant.

If you have cracked tooth, you need to call Kenneth M. Schweizer, DDS, PA at 941-926-4888 as soon as possible to schedule an emergency appointment in Sarasota, Florida.