Did you know that there are things in the world today that can cause a yellow smile? If not, you do now! There are many things that can take the bright, brilliant tint from your teeth, and those things are:
– Drinks: Some drinks, like coffee, tea, and red wine, can cause tooth discoloration. This is because they have intense color pigments called chromogens that attach to the white part of your tooth and stain it.
– Tobacco Use: Tobacco products are major culprits for tooth stains. Tar and nicotine, which are the two chemicals found in the products, stain the surface of your teeth and turn your smile yellow. It’s best to avoid tobacco at all costs.
– Age: As time passes by, the white shell of your teeth tends to wear away, exposing the underlying layer called dentin. Dentin has a yellow tint, so the more your enamel wears away, the more yellow your smile will be.
– Trauma: Oftentimes, trauma makes your teeth turn yellow because the chompers tend to protect themselves after the injury. They protect themselves by growing additional dentin outside the tooth, which gives your smile a yellow tint.
– Medications: Many medications cause smile discoloration. The most common medications that have this effect are antihistamines, antipsychotics, high blood pressure medication, chemotherapy, and radiation.
If you are interested in whitening your smile with a teeth-whitening treatment in Sarasota, Florida, please call 941-926-4888 today and schedule a whitening treatment with your dentist, Dr. Kenneth Schweizer. Our Kenneth M. Schweizer, DDS, PA team is happy to brighten your smile and give you the beautiful results you’re looking for!