Regardless of how much you care for your teeth, you may still be in need of dental services like tooth extractions. If you live in the Sarasota, FL, area, visit the dental office of Dr. Kenneth Schweizer, DDS, PA. Our dentist can provide you with skilled, professional services so you can enhance your dental health.
When to Visit a Dentist for Tooth Extraction
You may need to have one or more of your teeth for any of the following reasons:
- You have extra teeth that crowd your mouth.
- You have impacted teeth.
- You have teeth, like wisdom teeth, that cannot erupt through your gums.
- You’ve sustained damage to your teeth or mouth, and the teeth cannot be repaired.
- Your teeth are too big for your mouth.
- Your teeth are too decayed or infected to heal.
Your dentist will examine your mouth to view the extent of your dental condition, and then he will extract the necessary tooth or teeth.
What to Do After a Tooth Extraction
Your recovery will take a few days, and you may want to use the following tips to stay as comfortable as possible:
- Brush and floss as normal, taking care to avoid the extraction site.
- Consume soft foods like yogurt, pudding, mashed potatoes, and soup.
- Don’t spit or rinse vigorously for a day or two to avoid developing dry socket.
- Don’t use any tobacco products or smoke.
- Elevate your head as you sleep.
- Keep gauze in your mouth for three or four hours to control any bleeding.
- Take prescribed painkillers to reduce pain.
- Use ice to reduce swelling in your cheeks and gums.
If you have any questions or concerns, talk to your dentist before the procedure begins. A dental professional can explain the procedure to you and give you advice so you stay calm during and after your visit.
To schedule tooth extractions or any other dental service with Dr. Kenneth Schweizer, call our office in Sarasota, FL, at 941-926-4888.